Rail services connect Stansted Airport directly to London, Birmingham and transport interchanges at Cambridge and Peterborough. The Airport station acts as a transport interchange for the wider area, connecting local people with long-distance destinations. Passengers benefit from frequent services to London and Cambridge on the West Anglia Main Line (WAML).
Improving rail connectivity on the WAML will be critical for supporting airport growth and attracting new airlines as well as the economic growth along the entire London-Stansted-Cambridge corridor. Commuters from stations on the WAML would benefit significantly from reduced journey times to London.
- Secure Government commitment through the West Anglia Task Force to deliver a significantly faster journey time from the airport to Central London, as the first phase in a long term programme of infrastructure investment on the WAML.
- Introduce earlier services every morning from Liverpool Street to Stansted to cater for increasing passenger demand during peak departure times (05:00-06:00). Ultimately introduce a 24 hour, 7 day week rail service to Stansted; – Work with train operators to improve the passenger experience;
- Introduce better rail connections to Cambridgeshire, and beyond including two trains per hour to the Cambridge;
- Support regional stakeholder aspirations to improve links from the WAML to Stratford, supporting regeneration in the Upper Lea Valley and opening up Stansted to new communities;
- Support the extension of Crossrail 2 to Stansted; and improve the customer experience at the airport, Liverpool Street, Stratford, Tottenham Hale and Cambridge and provide improved on-train information for departing air passengers.